Monday, May 28, 2012

What friends are for, procurement

They say a good friend will help you move, a great friend will help you move a body... okay, this is not quite as dramatic as that, but close...

Bottom line, more often than not my friends amaze me.  Like the time a friend from high school in South Africa, whom I haven't been in touch with for close to 2 dozen years, sends me care packages in the NICU in Darwin - from South Korea.  Or when friends in Dili would drive all the way up the hill to once again explain to the cleaning lady not to feed Gus litter sand.  Or, when my girlfriend and classmate from Oxford rocked up with a fresh organic Turkey for  Luka's first Thanksgiving (and eight Scotch Fillets, cranberry sauce, you know the drill...).

If you know who I am am referring to, you will also know that Auntie Becca looooves a challenge - and so I suppose it should be no real surprise when this is the image that emerged from the Dili airport last weekend when I picked her up at 07h00 on a Friday morning. ..

Princess Rebecca and the cot mattress emerge from
the Dili customs - I think they remembered her
from last time :)

Yes, in case you were wondering - that is a full-size, or shall I say 'standard size' infant cot mattress (inner spring of course, not the sponge type) from Australia.  Said mattress was procured in Canberra, nearly missed its flight to Darwin, then spent the night taking a taxi from the Darwin airport into town, and back to the airport only to spend the night sleeping next to Becca on the floor of the Darwin airport for the 05h00 flight to Dili.  Seriously.

Of course, Luka was SO excited and overwhelmed, he proceeded to vomit all over the mattress that first night - for the first time ever in bed mind you.  He just couldn't take the anticipation I suppose ;)

Thank you becca! We have disposed of the toxic piece of sponge he has been laying his sweet head on for the past few months.  Who knew Australia's 'standard' is different than everyone else's 'standard' cot??

No comments:

Post a Comment