Wednesday, March 30, 2011

Day 4-5 Update message to family

This is the last installment of the letters sent to family in the first few days after Luka was born, hope you enjoy the pictures.
Luka gets his drip out!

Dear friends and family, it is 23:15, and I have to be up at 03:00 to express breakfast for Luka, so this will be brief.

We had a very good day at the hospital today, apart from a bit of jaundice that the little man is still struggling with, he had his drip removed completely (since he is eating so well and does not require the glucose supplements anymore) which not only makes for a much healthier-looking baby, but also a lot easier to maneuver!  He is up to 18ml feedings of breastmilk through the tube every 2 hours, another 2ml per feed and he will have reached what is considered a 'full feed' for his size.  He had a marvelous attempt at the breast this morning, and stayed on for at least 5 minutes - we are sure he will start at full throttle as soon as he has a bit more energy.  The light for the jaundice treatment also seems to be exhausting to him.

'Kangaroo Care' - proven to enhance development
of any newborn, but of preemies specifically.
Doctors and nurses continue to be amazed at his progress, and Chris and I still sit with him for the majority of each day providing skin-on-skin care to ensure his healthy and happy development.  Each of these moments are very precious.  Attached 3 quick photos - I will try and work on a more accessible means of relaying news about Luka tomorrow and updateeveryone soon but I know I will be in big trouble if there is not an update in my little sisters' inbox when she wakes up!

Lots of love and thank you for the continued love and support.

Chris, Susan and Luka


While under the lights for jaundice, I caught Luka pulling
this funny face that looks like the cutest grin in the world.

1 comment:

  1. There is beauty before me, and there is beauty behind me. 

    There is beauty to my left, and there is beauty to my right.  

    There is beauty above me, and there is beauty below me.    

    There is beauty around me, and there is beauty within me.

    Navajo indian chant

    ReplyDelete