Wednesday, September 21, 2011

In memoriam... (from Chris)


On Sunday, 25 September, I will run the Cape Town City Marathon, my first-ever.

Scott (center) with my little sis Cara and their teammate
at a recent racing event.
I would like to dedicate this marathon to my sister’s boyfriend, Scott Nelson, who tragically lost his life in a freak accident when he collided with a runner while on a training bike ride on 17 August, 2011. 
Scott was first and foremost a father to two children, a partner to my sister, a friend, but also a competitive tri-athlete and considered the best cyclist in my hometown of Visalia.

I never had the chance to meet Scott personally, but knew him vicariously through my sister and the impact he had on her life and that of her own two boys. I would like to use this marathon to raise awareness about the importance of road-sharing between various users (drivers, runners, cyclists).

If you are a runner, hiker, cyclist, driver, or parent and would like to support me in my marathon quest you can do so by sponsoring me with a donation of your choice (per mile or otherwise), the proceeds will go to a college fund for Scott’s kids.

This fund can never bring Scott back into my sister’s life, nor to the lives of his children and students at the school where he taught, but will live on through the lives of his children.

If you would like to make a donation, please mail a check to:
Audrey and Ethan Nelson College Fund, 
Visalia Community Bank 
P.O. Box 1311
Visalia CA 93279

For those of our friends not living in the US who would like to make a donation, please use my Paypal account name: chris.susan@gmail.com, when you make the payment indicate marathon and all donations will be forwarded to the memorial fund.

Read a tribute by a fellow-athlete and friend of Scott's here.

Sincerely,
Chris Serjak
cserjak@gmail.com

No comments:

Post a Comment